Important information: With the rapid increase in COVID-19 infections and the resulting changes to government guidance, to help keep everyone safe Hampshire Cultural Trust museums and galleries are currently closed and will remain so until further notice. They will re-open as soon as they can and look forward to welcoming you back.
Hampshire's only working windmill, Bursledon Windmill was built in 1814. After falling into disrepair, it was restored and then re-opened in 1990 as a working windmill and heritage visitor attraction.
Other buildings on the site include the Chineham Barn which was rescued from demolition and now houses the ticket office and other visitor facilities; there is also the Hiltingbury Granary, an 18th century farm building which stores grain for the mill. The pond, to water the farmer’s horses, has been re-dug in its original location.
Entrance to the windmill building is part of guided tours which start every half hour. If travelling a long way to visit, it is advisable to phone ahead to check whether the tours are busy. Please note the last tour of the day leaves at 3.30pm. Much of Bursledon Windmill is an outdoor site, please wear suitable clothing and footwear for the weather conditions. Please note visitors in flip flops or stilettos are not allowed above the ground floor.
On your visit, you can also take a walk around neighbouring Windmill Wood, a young woodland habitat supporting a wide range of wildlife, including woodpeckers or try grinding flour by hand in the barn using either the ancient saddle quern or the medieval rotary quern.
Admission charges apply. Pay once, visit all year; enjoy unlimited visits to Bursledon Windmill. With your ticket you can return to Bursledon Windmill as many times as you like for a whole year. Excludes some special events which may have an extra charge.
Before you visit the mill, please be aware:
To take part in the mill tour, please be advised that:
- You must be able to climb and descend steep ladders without assistance
- The tour is not suitable for visitors with vertigo, claustrophobia or similar health conditions
- You must wear appropriate, flat footwear
During your tour, please:
- Supervise children at all times
- Mind your head on the low beams and doorframes
- Take care on the steep ladders
- If you have any questions before or during your tour of the mill, please ask a member of our team - they will be happy to help you.
|Open (3 Mar 2024 - 25 Nov 2024)
|Monday - Friday
|Saturday - Sunday
* Bursledon Windmill is a seasonal venue. Please check the venue website for up-to-date opening times prior to your visit.Dates and times marked with a '*' are provisional and may be subject to change
Map & Directions
Click to Activate