The Royal Green Jackets (Rifles) Museum, opened in 1989, tells the story of 250 years of campaigning for peace by The Oxfordshire & Buckinghamshire Light Infantry, The King’s Royal Rifle Corps, The Rifle Brigade and, from 1966, The Royal Green Jackets until the Regiment merged with others to become The Rifles in 2007.
The Museum offers an impressive display of some 12,000 uniforms, weapons, items of silver, paintings, medals and other objects, including Napoleon’s teapoy, the 1908 Grand National Cup and 31 of the Regiment’s 59 Victoria Crosses. There is also a magnificent diorama of Waterloo featuring 22,000 model soldiers and horses with accompanying commentary and light effects.
There is, too, co-located with the Museum, an information display about the recent involvement of The Rifles’ five battalions in Afghanistan during which the Regiment has suffered over 60 soldiers killed in action and 300 seriously wounded.
|Open (1 Jan 2020 - 31 Dec 2020)|
* General Opening Text
Map & Directions
Click to Activate