Located at the end of Calshot Spit, Calshot Castle was constructed as one of Henry VIII's coastal defences, protecting the entrance to Southampton Water. In 1913, Calshot became one of the first seaplane bases of the Royal Navy and the castle was modified to accommodate searchlights, roof-mounted guns and shell storage.
Now, Calshot Castle features a basement, 1st floor barracks room, 2nd floor gun room and roof with fantastic views across The Solent. In addition, the castle's more modern rooms house displays showing the seaplane history of Calshot Spit. The castle shop sells a range of information books, souvenirs and ice cream - perfect for a family trip to the beach!
Pushchairs are permitted but access is limited due to narrow stairs.
Map & Directions
Click to Activate